Peak Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year Award Nomination Procedures
The Office of Research seeks nominations of faculty from the colleges for the Peak Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year (submissions can only be made by the college deans’ offices). Colleges are urged to specifically reach out to all Statewide units for inclusion in their college-wide processes. This faculty award was inaugurated in 2003 and endowed by David and Terry Peak to recognize outstanding faculty as mentors of undergraduate researchers. A good faculty mentor provides a role model for methods of inquiry in a field of study and for the responsible conduct of research. Good mentors often provide students with their first entry into professional circles and support the dissemination of the student’s work as through professional conference participation or publication.
- The faculty nominee must be a current employee of USU or have retired within the past 12 months prior to submission.
- The faculty nominee must be the newly selected College Undergraduate Research Mentor of the Year for this college.
- Name and A # of nominee
- 200-word bio of the nominee addressing how their achievements align with the award criteria
- Current photograph (professional-type headshot preferred)
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee with an emphasis on undergraduate student mentoring
- Up to 3 letters of support from current or former undergraduate students; writers should address specific examples of mentor’s work and effectiveness
- A nomination letter by the dean or department head, limited to 2 pages
- Colleges are urged to specifically reach out to all appropriate RCDE units for inclusion in their college-wide processes.
- College deans' offices will complete the online form to submit one name.
- Deadline for online submission to the Office of Research is January 26.
- A $500 monetary award will be given to each of the eight colleges’ recipients.
- An additional $500 award will be given to the university-wide winner for a total of $1000.
- Recipients will be recognized at the USU Faculty Awards Ceremony.