Undergraduate Researcher of the Year Award Nomination Procedures
The Office of Research seeks student nominations from the colleges for outstanding undergraduates to be considered for University Undergraduate Researcher of the Year (submissions can only be made by the college deans’ offices). Colleges are urged to specifically reach out to all RCDE units for inclusion in their processes. This award was inaugurated in 2004 and endowed by David and Terry Peak in 2008.
In addition to being an excellent student, a notable undergraduate researcher is one who has consistently engaged in independent inquiry, through classes, student employment, and independent research grants. Students also typically seek to share their results at undergraduate research events or professional conferences. All college Undergraduate Researchers of the Year should be submitted to be part of the selection pool, from which one will be chosen as the University Undergraduate Researcher of the Year.
- The student nominee must be a current student of USU.
- The student nominee must be the newly-selected College Undergraduate Researcher of the Year for this college.
- Name and A # of nominee
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee in standard format including a complete list of publications, awards, sponsored projects, and other recognitions by peers – international, national and regional.
- 200-word short bio of the nominee
- Current photograph (professional-type headshot preferred)
- A letter of nomination from the nominee’s dean, department head or faculty research mentor
- College deans' offices will fill out the online form to submit one name.
- Each of the eight (8) College Undergraduate Researcher of the Year Awardees will be interviewed by the Undergraduate Research Advisory Board as a key part of the selection process for the University Undergraduate Researcher of the Year Award.
- Deadline for online submission to the Office of Research is January 27.
- Each of the eight College Undergraduate Researcher of the Year Awardees will receive a $200 monetary award.
- The one selected as the University Undergraduate Researcher of the Year will receive an additional $300 monetary award.
- Nominees will be invited to USU’s Robins Awards Ceremony, where the recipient will be announced.
- College nominees will be recognized at the Student Research Awards Ceremony during USU’s Research Week.