CITI Certification and Procedures
USU participates in the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI). In order to conduct laboratory animal research, you need to be CITI Certified. Certification must be renewed every three years. Current CITI Certification needs to be maintained throughout any laboratory animal based research.
CITI Training Instructions
To conduct research with laboratory animals at Utah State University, the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) requires all research staff be certified via the CITI Program. The CITI Program provides training on research ethics and basic animal care to all members of the research community.
To be certified at Utah State University, a set of modules must be completed via the CITI website with an overall score of 75%. All users are required to complete the “Working with the IACUC” module as well as at least one species module. The exact modules to be completed will be determined by the nature of the research conducted and the animal species an individual will work with.
Once completed, CITI will issue you a “completion certificate” and notify the Utah State University IACUC. At that point, your name and certification expiration date (three years) will be entered in the IACUC database.
To create a CITI log in, and to complete the required Animal Care and Use Courses, open the CITI website and do the following:
- Click on ‘Register” under ‘Create an Account’
- In ‘Select an Institution,’ click the down arrow for ‘Participating Institutions’ and select Utah State University
- Type in your Personal Information
- Create a User Name and Password
- Complete the Gender, Ethnicity, and Race sections
- Complete the CEU page
- Complete the Information requested by USU
- Choose the fourth option: “I would like to take an Animal Care and Use Course.” Click ‘Next’
- Place a check in all the boxes next to statements that accurately describe your proposed research efforts. Include all species you plan to be working with at this time. If you will be working with a species not listed, please contact the IACUC office to arrange appropriate training
- Click on the ‘Finalize Registration’ link
You will receive a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org which will include the next step in finalizing your registration. Please check your spam folder for this email, and if you have any questions or need assistance, contact CITI Support at email@example.com.
Returning users may simply log in to the CITI web page and complete their training or refresher courses. If prior log in information has been forgotten, click on the ‘Forgot Username or Password’ link.
Help can be found on the CITI Support Center website.